It's the future, Jim, but not as we know it...

There's more to tomorrow than robots, flying cars, and a faster internet.
22C+ is all about Deep Futures, futures that matter. Welcome to futures fantastic, unexpected, profound, but most of all deeply meaningful...

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Is the Future is Calling You?



“The state of empirical psi research continues to advance while the state of skepticism continues to stagnate. It doesn't take precognition to guess who will eventually win that type of debate. How long ‘eventually’ will be depends on how many people are actively engaged in research.”

Dean Radin (reference)


Last Saturday evening I was walking past a bar in the Central district of Hong Kong, when I noted a game of rugby on the flat screen TV inside. Now I’m a bit of a rugby fan, being a former player, and since the game was between Australia and the New Zealand All Blacks, I ducked inside to check it out. To my great delight I saw that the game was already in the second half and that Australia was leading 22-9, with just 30 minutes to go. As an Aussie, this was too good to miss, so I sat down and ordered a glass of red wine as a pre-celebration drink for the impending great Aussie victory over the mighty All-blacks. A few minutes of viewing allowed me to see that Australia was dominating the game, and the All-blacks were being run all over the park. The NZ team looked like a complete rabble, like a ship without a captain. On the other hand Australia looked very sharp.  They looked certain winners, for to lose it would require a roughshod NZ team, who had been completely outplayed, to score two converted tries in the last 15 minutes.

At that point I did what I often do when watching sporting events. I measured the energy on the outcome using the Quick Check. I have found that this divination method is extremely reliable for picking the outcomes of sporting events (although if I am ‘following’ one of the teams, I sometimes get over-excited and get the reading wrong). I didn’t get the reading I expected or wanted. There was no ‘energy’ on Australia winning the game.

Allow me to backtrack a little.

The first time I realised that sporting events are actually determined before the opening whistle is even blown, was when I had a dream during the 1991 rugby world cup. One night during that time I had a dream where I saw the English captain Will Cahling being interviewed and thanking his supporters for the tremendous victory they’d had. The next day I learned that England were playing Australia, so I stayed up to watch the match with my flatmate. Even though at that time I had not really developed none of my ability in Integrated Intelligence, I felt strongly that the dream was a precognition. As the match progressed, Australia took the lead, and stayed there. In the final minute of the game, Australia was leading by one or two points, and they had the ball in hand (which means England would not be able to score). I told my flatmate that Australia would lose the ball and England would win. Well, I was only half right. An Australian player decided to kick the ball, and England took possession. It was literally the final second of the game, and he was on the half way line, way out near the sideline. I watched bemused as he ran backwards (away from Australia’s tryline, where he was supposed to be running!), suddenly pivoted, turned round, dropped the ball onto his foot. The dropkick straight sailed over the goal posts from an impossible position. Never looked like missing.

The full-time siren sounded. England had won. There followed a few ads, then Will Cahling appeared and thanked the English supporters, just as I'd 'seen' the night before. (As an aside, my flatmate was a die-hard science graduate and skeptic, and refused to accept that my prediction had been anything more than good luck, after I told him how I ‘knew’. I was a skeptic too at that time – but an open-minded one).

Another precognitive vision of a sporting event which I had was symbolic (in fact many precognitive dreams occur in symbolic form). It occurred just before the 2004 cricket world cup. Australia went into that competition as the reigning champions, but had lost a lot of games, including a warm-up game against a low-ranked team, and many people wrote them off. However, I had a dream which convinced me they were going to ‘wipe the floor’ in that competition. As I was half asleep thinking about the competition one night, a vision came to me of a giant wild boar, running towards the tryline on a rugby field. The image was of an unstoppable force (imagine being a rugby player and trying to tackle a great boar charging towards you!). I just knew that the boar represented the energy of the Australian team, and that it symbolised their path through the upcoming competition. The vision was true. Australia smashed all other nations and went through the competition undefeated.

I have also had many premonitions involving my participation in sports events. One Saturday morning about 15 years ago, when I was to play a game of rugby, I awoke and heard the song “You go and save the best till last” being blasted into my head (I often hear these songs to this day).  I felt strongly that it was to do with the game I was going to play. When I got to the playing field I was very disappointed to find I had been put on the reserves bench. I was a bit pissed off to tell you the truth, but remembering the song I had heard that morning, I decided to be patient and kept my mouth shut. I waited, and waited... Half time came and went, and the game was drawing to a close. Then with just two minutes left the coach threw me onto the field on the wing (which is where I played anyway). I had barely run on, when our half back made a short break in our own half. Bypassing my two inside centres, he sent a long cutout pass to me, perfectly timed, such that I was into open space. I ran the thirty metres or so to the line without a hand placed on me, and scored. There was no time for a restart, and the game was over. The best had indeed come at the last moment.

After I was taught the Quick Check, I became able to predict the outcome of most games before they even began. Or even during games. I remember that during the 2005 soccer world cup, I rang my wife, and she said she couldn’t talk because she was watching a game, and they were having a quick penalty shoot-out at the end. I did a Quick Check and told her Korea would win the shoot-out, and that she needn’t bother watching. I was right.

So, last Saturday as I watched the Australia/New Zealand game, I was somewhat shocked to ‘read’ that there was no energy on Australia winning the game, despite their dominant position with the minutes counting down. Sure enough though, New Zealand scored two late converted tries, and completely against the run of the game, ‘got out of jail’. They won by one point, 23-22.

I now know that most, if not all sporting events are determined before a ball is kicked, hit or touched down.

Even the specifics of individual plays are largely determined. One morning when I was to play a game of cricket, I awoke, and the number ‘26’ appeared in my mind’s eye. 


Later that day I opened the batting for my team and batted for an hour or so, and got out. There is no scoreboard in most amateur cricket, so I had no idea of how many runs I’d scored.

As I trudged back to our team bench, I passed the scorer, and said “Don’t bother. 26, right?”

“Good counting!” he smiled. But I hadn’t been counting at all.

I could add many more examples, but that should suffice to make my point.

These are all personal anecdotes, and of course I cannot prove what I am claiming here. Yet I have made it clear with my theory of Integrated Intelligence, that precognition is perfectly possible. What I call it ‘Foresense’ can be activated in a number of ways, including via intuitive feelings, the visionary state, and by applying the Quick Check.

Still, we may not have to rely much longer on foolish mystics like me for ‘evidence’ of precognition. The case for presentiment is growing stronger and stronger in parapsychology and physics. Like parapsychologist Dean Radin, I predict that the concept will soon cross the paradigmatic border and become part of mainstream science.

In a recent blog post, Radin refers to a fascinating article in Discover Magazine  referring to a series of quantum experiments conducted by Jeff Tollaksen and colleagues. These indicate that measurements performed in the future can influence the present. Tollaksen’s group has investigated the hypothesis that time can flow backward, and not only be perceived in the present, but allow the future to influence the present.

There have been other recent significant experiments. Here’s what the Discovery report says.
Just last year, physicist John Howell and his team from the University of Rochester reported success. In the Rochester setup, laser light was measured and then shunted through a beam splitter. Part of the beam passed right through the mechanism, and part bounced off a mirror that moved ever so slightly, due to a motor to which it was attached. The team used weak measurements to detect the deflection of the reflected laser light and thus to determine how much the motorized mirror had moved.
That is the straightforward part. Searching for backward causality required looking at the impact of the final measurement and adding the time twist. In the Rochester experiment, after the laser beams left the mirrors, they passed through one of two gates, where they could be measured again—or not. If the experimenters chose not to carry out that final measurement, then the deflected angles measured in the intermediate phase were boringly tiny. But if they performed the final, postselection step, the results were dramatically different. When the physicists chose to record the laser light emerging from one of the gates, then the light traversing that route, alone, ended up with deflection angles amplified by a factor of more than 100 in the intermediate measurement step. Somehow the later decision appeared to affect the outcome of the weak, intermediate measurements, even though they were made at an earlier time.
This amazing result confirmed a similar finding reported a year earlier by physicists Onur Hosten and Paul Kwiat at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. They had achieved an even larger laser amplification, by a factor of 10,000, when using weak measurements to detect a shift in a beam of polarized light moving between air and glass.

The implication is that if we want to really understand what is happening now, we must consider the effect of not only the past, but also the future. Think of that for a reality-check. The future affects the present!

Of course, the ideas of precognition and backward causality open up numerous deeper questions. They suggest that the future may already be determined, at least in part. Is there any such thing as free will?

My experience as a person who has explored these realms at a personal level for two decades is that ‘intention’, or personal will does indeed exist, and in fact has a great impact on the future. This means consciousness moves through space and time, consistent with the fact that the time-decay factor does not strictly apply to Integrated Intelligence. With sporting events, the ‘intention’ of one team to win may actually ‘decide’ the game before the teams warm up.

What I have offered here is probably not a completely adequate explanation as to why we can perceive the future in dreams and visions, or via feelings. Yet one thing for me is certain. We can, at least some of the time, sense the future, or at least possible futures.

What will the future be like if we all develop a much greater capacity to sense it? Will it finally eliminate the need for human free will? I believe that there may be some truth to this. If you read accounts of people who have reached highly evolved states of consciousness (David R. Hawkins, Leonard Jacobson), many individuals report surrendering free will to a greater intelligence. They move through the world as if guided by an invisible hand.

Who knows?

Maybe the future, your future, knows already.

P.S. No doubt you are wondering whether I have ever gambled on sporting fixtures. The answer is that I have never gambled. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment